The West Michigan Policy Forum (WMPF) seeks to create a competitive economic environment for Michigan through targeted public policy.
The WMPF’s policy agenda currently focuses on five (5) specific policy directives including:
- Build the New International Trade Crossing and Freight Tunnel to Canada (2012)
- Ensure state policies maximize federal matching dollars (2012)
- Update/reform the state’s funding mechanisms (2008, 2012, 2014)
- Encourage the development of consistent K-12 and higher education metrics (2012)
- Support the dedication of funds for early childhood development (2012)
- Expansion of college credits for work experience (2014)
- Require funding for state economic development and workforce agencies to align more closely with private sector efforts in talent development initiative (2014)
- Reform of Teacher Evaluation (2015)
- Reform: 3rd Grade Reading Readiness (2016)
- A-F Quality & Accountability in K-12 (2018)
The challenge to state government is to operate with the same vigor as the private sector and adapt to new directions and change policies quickly to create jobs and opportunities for the future.